Tuesday 16 September 2014

Cowardly lion?

Strength - Daniloff Tarot 
Today's card from Daniloff Tarot (2012) is 'La Forza' -- Strength. Interestingly, this deck offers you two versions of Strength and Justice. The Strength card is printed with an 8 and an 11, and so is the Justice card, so you can choose which ones you use in your deck. I have no real preference because I use a variety of decks, but as this deck is quite clearly RWS based, I have chosen to use 8 as Strength  because that is the RWS tradition.

So here we see a maiden riding a lion sidesaddle. The lion doesn't look too happy about it -- maybe she's heavier than she looks. He reminds me a bit of the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz, actually, and that's curious, because it's the second time this deck has made me think of Wizard of Oz. I already think most faces look a lot like the Scarecrow. (Their noses all look 'attached' to the face.) I wonder if the artist, Alexander Daniloff, is a fan of Wizard of Oz. I bet he is!

I wonder in what way I will be called upon to use strength today.


2 comments:

  1. Heavy or not, if I was the lion I don't think if want someone with such a smug, knowing look controlling me :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's certainly confident, and the lion is most definitely cowed.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: